COMING SOON! 2 BOOK LAUNCHES!!

By Centre for Gender Studies|February 8, 2019|Book Discussion, Book Launch, CGS Seminar Series|0 comments

A Queer Way Out:

The Politics of Queer Emigration from Israel

Book Launch and Drink Reception 28 February KLT theatre, 5-7 pm

JOIN US for an evening to discuss and celebrate SOAS Alumna Dr. Hila Amit’s book A Queer Way Out: The Politics of Queer Emigration from Israel where she examines the lives of queer Israeli emigrants who, in their decision to depart, undermine Zionist ideology as well as change the obvious paths of resistance to Zionism. The evening presents an opportunity to hear both about the research and from one of the participants of the study and hence the rare chance to discuss the product of a long-term research project with the subjects of the research themselves.

Extract from Book

“My children don’t have Israeli passports and I don’t want them to have one. That is

a political decision. What I mean is that I don’t want them to be counted as part

of the Israeli collective. I couldn’t care less what other people think, but I feel

that this is a political act. It’s a very very minor decision, but this is where I

feel that there is something I can do. That if I say, ‘not in my name’, I really

mean ‘not in my name.” (Israeli immigrant in London)

Discussants

Research Participant, Gali Gold; Dr. Hagar Kotef SOAS; Dr. Sabiha Allouche, SOAS

Chair Dr. Rahul Rao, SOAS

Autor’s Bio

Hila Amit (b. 1985, Tel-Aviv) is an author and language teacher. She is the founder of the International Hebrew School (learnhebrewnow.com). She holds a PhD in Gender Studies from SOAS, University of London, and a Master’s in Gender Studies from the University of Tel-Aviv. Her first fiction book, Moving on from Bliss (Tel-Aviv: Am Oved, 2016), was awarded the Israeli Ministry of Culture Prize for Debut Authors. Her academic work stems from the intersection of Queer Theory, Migration and Diaspora Studies, Postcolonial Thought and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Her dissertation, A Queer Way Out – Israeli Emigration and Unheroic Resistance to Zionism was awarded the ECPR Joni Lovenduski Prize in Gender and Politics for her dissertation in 2017.

AND

Feminist Methodologies on International Law – plus book launch!

WHEN: Thursday, 14 March 2019 from 17:00-20:00 / WHERE: KLT THEATRE, SOAS

Chair: Rossana Delpano (Leicester)

Panel Brenna Bhandar (SOAS), Rahul Rao (SOAS), Vidya Kumar (Leicester), Vanja Hamzic (SOAS), Loveday Hodson (Leicester)

This panel discussion engages the trajectory of feminist legal developments within the field of international law. How have feminist approaches changed, developed and transformed since Charlesworth, Chinkin and Wright’s article in 1991? what are the issues, methodologies and legal regimes that shape the field? The panel will discuss the relevance and restraints of critiques of governance feminism, feminist judgements projects and postcolonial feminisms, as well the space for expanded accounts of intersectionality and engagement with indigenous, transnational and critical race feminisms within international legal spaces. The panel discussion will be followed by a Book Launch of Dr Gina Heathcote’s new book Feminist Dialogues on International Law (OUP 2019).

LINK TO BOOK –> 
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/feminist-dialogues-on-international-law-9780199685103?cc=gb&lang=en&

Share this Post: