History – December 2014 and January 2015
General & thematic
- Into new territory: American historians and the concept of US imperialism / James G. Morgan
- Travel narratives from the age of discovery: an anthology / edited by Peter C. Mancall
- Thinking history globally / Diego Olstein
- Hinterlands and commodities: place, space, time and the political economic development of Asia over the long eighteenth century / edited by Tsukasa Mizushima, George Bryan Souza and Dennis O’Flynn
- Chinese and Indian warfare: from the classical age to 1870 / edited by Peter Lorge, Kaushik Roy.
- The modern Middle East and North Africa: a history in documents / Julia Clancy-Smith, Charles D. Smith
- A history of the world in six glasses / Tom Standage
- The bomb: a new history / Stephen M. Younger
- Asian encounters: exploring connected histories / edited by Upinder Singh, Parul Pandya Dhar foreword by Kapila Vatsyayan.
- The second British Empire: in the crucible of the twentieth century / Timothy H. Parsons
- America’s dirty wars: irregular warfare from 1776 to the War on Terror / Russell Crandall
- Africa: the state of the continent fifty years after the liberation / Olayiwola Abegunrin, editor
- From freedom to freedom: journeying back to heal the wounds of the Atlantic slave trade / Johnston Akuma-Kalu Njoku
- African voices of the global past: 1500 to the present / Trevor R. Getz, editor
- Leadership in postcolonial Africa: trends transformed by independence / edited by Baba G. Jallow.
- Al Qaeda declares war: the African embassy bombings and America’s search for justice / Tod Hoffman
- In Idi Amin’s shadow: women, gender, and militarism in Uganda / Alicia C. Decker
- Insurgency and counterinsurgency in Kenya: a social history of the Shifta Conflict, c. 1963-1968 / by Hannah Whittaker
- From the Cam to the Zambezi: colonial service and the path to the new Zambia / edited by Tony Schur
- The horns of the beast: the Swakop River campaign and World War I in South-West Africa 1914-15 / James Stejskal.
- Colonial survey and native landscapes in rural South Africa, 1850-1913: the politics of divided space in the Cape and Transvaal / by Lindsay Frederick Braun.
- The creation of the Zulu Kingdom, 1815-1828: war, Shaka, and the consolidation of power / Elizabeth A. Eldredge
- The New African: a history 1962-69 / Randolph Vigne & James Currey. With Cape escape 1964 / James Currey
- Proclivity to genocide: northern Nigeria ethno-religious conflict, 1966 to present / Grace O. Okoye
- Biafra: the Nigerian civil war, 1967-1970 / Peter Baxter
- An historical atlas of Central Asia / by Yuri Bregel.
- The silk road : trade, caravanserais, cultural exchanges and power games / edited by Mansura Haidar, International Seminar on Cities, Roads and Caravansarais–an Emblem of Relations through the Ages (2008 : Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts)
China and Tibet
- China’s encounters on the South and Southwest: reforging the fiery frontier over two millennia / edited by James A. Anderson and John K. Whitmore
- China from empire to nation-state / Wang Hui translated by Michael Gibbs Hill
- Between birth and death: female infanticide in Nineteenth-Century China / Michelle T. King
- The cultural revolution at the margins: Chinese socialism in crisis / Yiching Wu
- Mr. Science and Chairman Mao’s Cultural Revolution: science and technology in modern China / edited by Chunjuan Nancy Wei and Darryl E. Brock.
- The rise of Gönpo Namgyel in Kham: the blind warrior of Nyarong / Yudru Tsomu
Japan and Korea
- The other Nuremberg: the untold story of the Tokyo war crimes trial / Arnold C. Brackman
- Tokyo Rose/an American patriot: a dual biography / Frederick P. Close
- Performing propaganda: Kamishibai in Japan’s fifteen year war / Sharalyn Orbaugh
Near and Middle East
- Oman and overseas : Proceedings of the International Conference – The Ibadism of Oman – its overseas development and its perception overseas, held at Tübingen University 16th – 19th of May 2011 / edited by Michaela Hoffmann-Ruf, Abdulrahman al Salimi
- Days of revolution: political unrest in an Iranian village / Mary Elaine Hegland
- Iran in the early Islamic period: politics, culture, administration and public life between the Arab and the Seljuk conquests, 633-1055 / by Bertold Spuler; edited by Robert G. Hoyland, translated by Gwendolin Goldbloom & Berenike Walburg
- An unpromising land: Jewish migration to Palestine in the early twentieth century / Gur Alroey.
- A land of aching hearts: the Middle East in the Great War / Leila Tarazi Fawaz
- Crossroads of war: a historical atlas of the Middle East / Ian Barnes with Malise Ruthven
- Why we lost: a general’s inside account of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars / Daniel Bolger
- Women and the city, women in the city: a gendered perspective to Ottoman urban history / edited by Nazan Maksudyan.
- Sugar in the social life of medieval Islam / by Tsugitaka Sato
- Beyond Syria’s borders: a history of territorial disputes in the Middle East / Emma Jørum.
- British policy in the Persian Gulf, 1961-1968: conceptions of informal empire / Helene von Bismarck.
- Armenian history and the question of genocide / Michael M. Gunter
- Denial of violence: Ottoman past, Turkish present and collective violence against the Armenians, 1789-2009 / Fatma Müge Göçek
- Trading with the Ottomans: the Levant Company in the Middle East / Despina Vlami
- Ancient Persia in western history: Hellenism and the representation of the Achaemenid Empire / Sasan Samei
- The Islamic-Byzantine frontier: interaction and exchange among Muslim and Christian communities / A. Asa Eger.
- Ottoman Egypt and the emergence of the modern world: 1500-1800 / Nelly Hanna
- Corporate character: representing imperial power in British India, 1786-1901 / Eddy Kent
- Imperial Babel: translation, exoticism, and the long nineteenth century / Padma Rangarajan
- Death wasn’t painful: stories of Indian fighter pilots from the 1971 war / Dhirendra S. Jafa.
- Reminiscences of forty-three years in India: including the Cabul disasters, captivities in Afghanistan and the Punjab, and a narrative of the mutinies in Rajputana / by Sir George Lawrence edited by W. Edwards
- After Timur left: culture and circulation in fifteenth-century North India / edited by Francesca Orsini and Samira Sheikh.,”After Timur Came: Multiple Spaces of Cultural Production and Circulation in Fifteenth-Century North India’”(Conference) (2007 : London ,England)
- Wild man from Borneo: a cultural history of the orangutan / Robert Cribb, Helen Gilbert, Helen Tiffin
- The last Rajah of Karangasem : the life and times of Anak Agung Agung Anglurah Karangasem 1887-1966 / A.A.A. Dewi Girindrawardani, Adrian Vickers, Rodney Holt
- Descending dragon, rising tiger: a history of Vietnam / by Vu Hong Lien, Peter Sharrock
- The historical construction of Southeast Asian studies: Korea and beyond / edited by Park Seung Woo, Victor T. King.