Pravasi Shoutout! Calicut and Mavelikkara.
I want to hear from anyone, from any community, any status, who hails from Calicut or Mavelikkara areas, and who has spent any amount of time in Abu Dhabi, Ras al Khaimah or Muscat, and who has anything at all to say about my main interest for this project:
apart from the economic angle, what else does migration mean in your life and the lives of your family and community?
My main question is to find out how life compares for you in India and in the Gulf, and what aspects of Gulf life apart from economic benefit play into your decision to migrate, what job to take up, which part of the Gulf to live and work in.
Questions we are interested in for this project, for the wider REALM initiative, include things like:
- What does the Gulf mean to you, besides an income?
- What do you notice as major differences between Gulf life and life in Kerala?
- Are there aspects of your life in the Gulf which you especially appreciate and cannot enjoy in Kerala?
- Are there aspects of your life in Kerala that you feel happy to leave behind when you are in the Gulf?
- What would be important for you, in order for you to feel that you were having a good life or a life worth living? Apart from income, what else is important?
More details on the research process here
Contact Caroline at: email@example.com or what’s app to 00 91 7025863726 if you are in Calicut or Maveilikkara areas and willing to talk about giving an interview.