South Asia – December 2013 to July 2015
Art, Archaeology and Architecture
- Excavations at Kanaganahalli (Sannati), Taluk Chitapur, Dist. Gulbarga, Karnataka / K.P. Poonacha.
- The hermit’s hut : architecture and asceticism in India / Kazi K. Ashraf.
- Late temple architecture in India 15th to 19th centuries : continuities, revivals, appropriations, and innovations / George Michell.
- Nalanda : situating the great monastery / Frederick M. Asher.
- No touching, no spitting, no praying : the museum in South Asia / editors, Saloni Mathur and Kavita Singh.
- Power, memory, architecture : contested sites on India’s Deccan Plateau, 1300-1600 / by Richard M. Eaton, Phillip B. Wagoner.
- Civility against caste : dalit politics and citizenship in western India / Suryakant Waghmore.
- Beyond caste : identity and power in South Asia, past and present / by Sumit Guha.
- Unconventional warfare in South Asia : shadow warriors and counterinsurgency / by Scott Gates and Kaushik Roy.
- Useful enemies : when waging wars is more important than winning them / David Keen.
- The Indian Ocean in world history / Edward A. Alpers.
- Regional economic integration in South Asia : trapped in conflict? / Amita Batra.
- A history of Rajasthan / Rima Hooja.
- Indian doctors in Kenya, 1890-1940 : the forgotten history / Anna Greenwood and Harshad Topiwala.
- In freedom’s shade / Anis Kidwai ; translated by Ayesha Kidwai.
- King, governance, and law in ancient India : Kauṭilya’s Arthaśāstra / a new annot. transl. by Patrick Olivelle.
- Knowing India : colonial and modern constructions of the past : essays in honor of Thomas R. Trautmann / [edited by Cynthia Talbot].
- The non-aligned movement and the Cold War : Delhi – Bandung – Belgrade / edited by Nataša Mišković, Harald Fischer-Tiné and Nada Boškovska.
- Raja Serfoji II : science, medicine and enlightenment in Tanjore / Savithri Preetha Nair.
- Rethinking early medieval India : a reader / edited by Upinder Singh.
- Sophia : princess, suffragette, revolutionary / Anita Anand. [on order]
- Voyage to Goa and back, 1583-1592, with his account of the East Indies : (from Linschoten’s Discourse of voyages, in 1598) / Jan Huyghen van Linschoten ; [with an introduction by C. Raymond Beazley].
Languages and Linguistics
- Bengali and other related dialects of South Assam / S.S. Tunga
- Descriptive grammar of Bangla / Anne Boyle David ; edited by Thomas J. Conners, Dustin A. Chacon. [on order]
- Script, identity, region / a study in Sylhet Nagri : editor Anuradha Chanda
Literature & poetry
- 2 states : the story of my marriage / a novel by Chetan Bhagat.
- A history of the Indian novel in English / edited by Ulka Anjaria.
- Indian writing in English and issues of visual representation : judging more than a book by its cover / Lisa Lau, E. Dawson Varughese. [on order]
- Of gardens and graves : essays on Kashmir, poems in translation / Suvir Kaul ; photographs: Javed Dar.
- Sleeping on Jupiter / Anuradha Roy. [on order]
- Paul Scott : a life / Hilary Spurling.
- Kāvyamīmāṃsā of Rājaśekhara : original text in Sanskrit and translation with explanatory notes / by Sadhana Parashar. [on order]
- Remembered rhythms : issues of diaspora and music in India / edited by Shubha Chaudhuri and Anthony Seeger.
- The Songs of K̲h̲ayāl / Nicolas Magriel with Lalita du Perron.
- Politics as performance : a social history of the Telugu cinema / S.V. Srinivas.
- Why India votes? / by Mukulika Banerjee.
Poverty & Malnutrition
- Diets, malnutrition, and disease : the Indian experience / edited by Raghav Gaiha, Raghbendra Jha, Vani S. Kulkarni.
- Quantifying malnutrition in India : an analysis of the determinants of nutrient intake / Rekha Sharma
- Analysis of the Bhikkhu Patimokkha / Bhikkhu N̄āṇatusita [on order]
- The Buddhist heritage of Pakistan : art of gandhara / [edited by Adriana Proser].
- Buddhist nuns, monks, and other worldly matters : recent papers on monastic Buddhism in India / Gregory Schopen.
- The Buddhist philosophy of the middle : essays on Indian and Tibetan Madhyamaka / David Seyfort Ruegg.
- Golden faces of Dipankara Buddha : Samyak Mahadan festival of Nepal : excellence in Newari arts and crafts / Chandra B. Shakya. [on order]
- In clear words : the Prasannapada, chapter one / Anne MacDonald.
- Image problems : the origin and development of the Buddha’s image in early South Asia / Robert DeCaroli.
- Nagarjuna’s Middle way : the Mulamadhyamakakarika / Mark Siderits and Shoryu Katsura.
- Narrating karma and rebirth : Buddhist and Jain multi-life stories / by Naomi Appleton.
- The ornament of lay followers : a translation of Ānanda’s Upāsakajanālaṅkāra / [by Bhadanta Ananda, Svāmin]; translated by Giulio Agostini.
- The Oxford handbook of Sikh studies / edited by Pashaura Singh and Louis E. Fenech.
- Sikhism : an introduction / by Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh.
- Cult of the goddess / edited by Arputha Rani Sengupta ; foreword by R.C. Mishra ; prologue by Jawhar Sircar ; preface by Kalyan Kumar Chakravarty.
- Hindu pilgrimage : shifting patterns of worldview of Shri Sailam / Prabhavati C. Reddy.
- Was Hinduism invented? : Britons, Indians, and colonial construction of religion / Brian K. Pennington
- Zoroastrianism / Suresh K. Sharma [on order]
- Guruji : a portrait of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois through the eyes of his students / Guy Donahaye and Eddie Stern