History – August 2014
General and comparative
- The Oxford history of historical writing [Vol.2: 400-1400]/ Daniel Woolf, general editor.
- The Oxford handbook of the history of medicine / edited by Mark Jackson.
- An African in Paris / Bernard Binlin Dadié ; translated by Karen C. Hatch.
- Blue dahlia, black gold: a journey into Angola / Daniel Metcalfe
- Lost and found in Johannesburg, a memoir / Mark Gevisser.
- Good morning, Mr Mandela / by Zelda la Grange
- Libya: history and revolution / Richard A. Lobban, Jr. and Christopher H. Dalton ; foreword by General Carlton W. Fulford Jr., USMC (Ret.).
- Ireland, the United Nations and the Congo: a military and diplomatic history, 1960-1 / Michael Kennedy and Art Magennis.
- Bush war Rhodesia 1966-1980 / Peter Baxter.
China & Tibet
- Keeping the nation’s house: domestic management and the making of modern China / Helen M. Schneider.
- The devil soldier: the American soldier of fortune who became a god in China / Caleb Carr.
Near & Middle East
- The Armenian military in the Byzantine Empire: conflict and alliance under Justinian and Maurice / Armen Ayvazyan.
- Saladin / by Anne-Marie Eddé; translated by Jane-Marie Todd
- Edviye-i müfrede : metin-sözlük / İshak bin Murâd ; hazırlayanlar, Mustafa Canpolat, Zafer Önler.
- State, faith, and nation in Ottoman and post-Ottoman lands / Frederick F. Anscombe.
- Arabs and Islam in late antiquity: a critique of approaches to Arabic sources / Aziz Azmeh
- The emergence of British power in India, 1600-1784: a grand strategic interpretation / G.J. Bryant.
- Knowing India: colonial and modern constructions of the past: essays in honor of Thomas R. Trautmann / [edited by Cynthia Talbot].
- A history of Rajasthan / Rima Hooja.
- The Chulia in Penang: patronage and place-making around the Kapitan King Mosque 1786-1957 / Khoo Salma Nasution
- Of palm wine, women and war: the Mongolian naval expedition to Java in the 13th century / David Bade.
- The memoirs and memorials of Jacques de Coutre: security, trade and society in 16th- and 17th-century Southeast Asia / [Jacques de Coutre] ; edited with introduction by Peter Borschberg; translated by Roopanjali Roy.
- From the time of the crocs: the Danes in the mangroves 1860- / Flemming Winther Nielsen.
- The history of logging in North Borneo / Ross Ibbotson.
- History of Ilocos / Isabelo Florentino de los Reyes ; a translation into English by Maria Elinora Peralta-Imson.
- Filipino colonial history and legacy / edited by Ferdinand D. Dagmang.
- The living river: history of Colegio Del Buen Consejo (1909-2009) and Beaterio De Santa Rita De Pasic (1740-1896) / Luciano P. R. Santiago with sor Catalina de Jesus, OSA sor Jesus Sobrevinas, OSA CBC staff
African diaspora (France)Anatolian Turkish languageancient historyAngolaArab peoplesarmed forces (Armenia)armed forces (Irish)ArmeniaArmeniansBalkan PeninsularBangkokBengalbiographyBorneoByzantine EmpireCatholic ChurchChimurenga War (1966-1980)ChinaChristianityChuliachurch schoolscities and townsCongo (Democratic Republic)Congressescontemporary historyCrusadesDiplomacydocumentary sourcesEast India Companyeconomic historyepigraphyfiction (French)Foreign RelationsFrederick Townsend Ward (1831-1862)gender studieshistoriographyhistory (13th century)history (16th century)history (17th century)history (18th century)history (19th century)history (20th century)history (multi-period)History of educationhistory of medicinehistory of religionsIlocos NorteIlocos Surimperialism (American)imperialism (British)imperialism (Japanese)IndiaIndonesiaindustrial historyinscriptions (Greek)inscriptions (Latin)IslamIslam and the stateIslamic EmpireIvory Coast (fiction)Jacques de Coutre (c.1572-1640)JavaJohannesburgJohorKublai Khan (in literature)Late AntiquityLibyalogging forestrylumber tradeMadrasMalaccaMalaysiamapsmedieval historymemoirsMercenariesmilitary historyMongol EmpiremosquesMuammar QaddafiMumbaiMuslim diaspora (Malaysia)Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)Ottoman Empirepeace-keepingPenangPhilippinespolitical historyRajasthanreligion and politicsreligious educationSaladin (1137-1193)Singaporesocial historySouth AfricaSoutheast AsiaSyria (antiquities)Taiping Rebellion (1850-1864)TamilsThailandtravel and explorationTurkeyUnited Nationsurban historywomen's historyWorld War 2Zimbabwe