History – July 2014
General & comparative
- Visualizing knowledge and creating meaning in ancient writing systems / edited by Shai Gordin
- State, faith, and nation in Ottoman and post-Ottoman lands / Frederick F. Anscombe
- Contesting Caprivi: a history of colonial isolation and regional nationalism in Namibia
- Africa (4th edn) / edited by Maria Grosz-Ngaté, John H. Hanson, and Patrick O’Meara
- Dead was everything / Keith Smith
- The death penalty in Africa: foundations and future prospects / Andrew Novak, Adjunct Professor of Criminology, Law and Society, George Mason University, USA.
- The explorers: a story of fearless outcasts, blundering geniuses, and impossible success / Martin Dugard
- The road to the two Sudans / Souad T. Ali (editor)
China & Tibet
- Voices from Tibet / selected essays and reportage by Tsering Woeser and Wang Lixiong edited and translated by Violet Law
- China in transformation 1900-1949 [2nd edition] / Colin Mackerras.
- The pretended Asian: George Psalmanazar’s eighteenth-century Formosan hoax / Michael Keevak.
Japan & Korea
- Rise of a Japanese Chinatown: Yokohama, 1894-1972 / Eric C. Han.
- Women and democracy in Cold War Japan / Jan Bardsley.
- A modern history of Japan : from Tokugawa times to the present (3rd edition) / Andrew Gordon, Harvard University.
- Interpreting Japan: approaches and applications for the classroom / Brian J. McVeigh.
- Japan since 1945 / Paul E. Dunscomb
- The historical and political context of the Tokyo War Crimes Trial: assassination and terrorism in Japan and the transformation of Japan’s international image.
- The “greatest problem”: religion and state formation in Meiji Japan / Trent E. Maxey.
- Cultural nationalism in colonial Korea, 1920-1925 / Michael Edson Robinson; with a new preface by the author.
Near & Middle East
- Arab-Byzantine coins and history: papers presented at the 13th Seventh Century Syrian Numismatic Round Table held at Corpus Christi College Oxford on 11th and 12th September 2011 / ed. by Tony Goodwin.
- Muslims and Crusaders: Christianity’s wars in the Middle East, 1095-1382, from the Islamic sources./ Niall Christie
- The race for Paradise: an Islamic history of the Crusades / Paul M. Cobb.
- The Crusades, 1095-1204 (2nd edn.) / Jonathan Phillips
- The First World War in the Middle East / Kristian Coates Ulrichsen
- The death and afterlife of Mahatma Gandhi / Makarand Paranjape.
- Felicitas : essays in numismatics, epigraphy and history in honour of Joe Cribb / editors, Shailendra Bhandare, Sanjay Garg.
- Punchmarked coinage of the Indian subcontinent: Magadha-Mauryan series / P. L. Gupta and T. R. Hardaker
- India through American eyes: 100 years ago/ Pran Nevile
- History, ideas and society: S.C. Mishra memorial lectures in history / edited by S.Z.H. Jafri.
- Gauging and engaging deviance, 1600-2000 / Ari Sitas … [et al.].
- Colonial and contemporary Bihar and Jharkhand / edited by Lata Singh, Biswamoy Pati.
Southeast Asia and the Pacific
- Franquistas sin Franco: una historia alternativa de la Guerra Civil Española desde Filipinas / Florentino Rodao.
- Invasion of Laos, 1971: Lam Son 719 / Robert D. Sander
- Henri Fauconnier : conquȇtes et renoncements / Roland Fauconnier