History – April 2014
Comparative & Thematic
- Thinking, recording, and writing history in the ancient world / edited by Kurt A. Raaflaub.
- Activating the past: history and memory in the Black Atlantic world / ed. by Andrew Apter and Lauren Derby.
- The Cambridge history of capitalism / edited by Larry Neal and Jeffrey G. Williamson.
- The monks of Kublai Khan, emperor of China: medieval travels from China through Central Asia to Persia and the Arab world / Rabban Sauma ; translated by Sir E.A. Wallis Budge.
- Muslims of Latin Christendom, ca. 1050-1614 / Brian Catlos, University of Colorado at Boulder, University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Problems in African history: the precolonial centuries [4th edition] / edited by Robert O. Collins and Ruth Iyob.
- The Sub-Saharan Africa map book / Esri Press.
- Enduring valour: South Africa’s cross of honour.
- Freedom’s debt: the Royal African Company and the politics of the Atlantic slave trade, 1672-1752 / William A. Pettigrew.
China & Tibet
- The urban life of the Tang dynasty / written by Huang Xinya ; translated by Tu Guoyuan & Liao Jing.
- The urban life of the Song dynasty / written by Li Chuntang ; translated by Liu Chuan, Qiu Yun & He Qiuhua ; revised by Wang Hong.
- The urban life of the Yuan dynasty / written by Shi Weimin ; translated by Tu Guoyuan & Liao Jing.
- The urban life of the Ming dynasty / written by Chen Baoliang ; translated by Zhu Yihua, Wang Ting & Yang Fei ; revised by Wang Hong.
- Biographical dictionary of Chinese women: v.4 – Tang through Ming, 618-1644 / editors-in-chief, Lily Xiao Hong Lee and A.D. Stefanowska; assisted by Sue Wiles.
- Mao Zedong / Jonathan Spence.
- The political and economic history of China, 1949-1976 / Hu Angang ; [translated by Hu Guangyu].[3 volumes]
Japan & Korea
- Lost and found: recovering regional identity in imperial Japan / Hiraku Shimoda.
- The princess nun: Bunchi, Buddhist reform, and gender in early Edo Japan / Gina Cogan.
Near and Middle East
- War and state formation in Syria: Cemal Pasha’s governorate during World War I, 1914-1917 / M. Talha Çiçek.
- The business of identity: Jews, Muslims, and economic life in medieval Egypt / Phillip I. Ackerman-Lieberman.
- House, but no garden: apartment living in Bombay’s suburbs, 1898-1964 / Nikhil Rao.
- Hariśyenalekhapañcāśikā : fifty selected papers on Indian epigraphy and chronology / Harry Falk