History – December 2013 and January 2014
General & Comparative
- Farewell to Salonika: city at the crossroads / Leon Sciaky.
- Transatlantic slavery: an introduction / [text by Richard Benjamin … and David Fleming].
- Borders: a very short introduction / Alexander C. Diener and Joshua Hagen.
- Red stamps and gold stars: fieldwork dilemmas in upland socialist Asia / edited by Sarah Turner
- Early modern things: objects and their histories, 1500-1800 / edited by Paula Findlen.
- Medicine and colonialism: historical perspectives in India and South Africa / edited by Poonam Bala.
- The power to name: a history of anonymity in colonial West Africa / Stephanie Newell
- Qasr Ibrim, between Egypt and Africa: studies in cultural exchange (NINO symposium, Leiden, 11-12 December 2009) / edited by J. van der Vliet and J.L. Hagen ; with the assistance of C.H. van Zoest and L.E. van de Peut
- Exploring the Caucasus in the 21st century: essays on culture, history and politics in a dynamic context / edited by Françoise Companjen, László Marácz, Lia Versteegh.
China & Tibet
- Empress Dowager Cixi: the concubine who launched modern China / by Jung Chang.
- Tang China in multi-polar Asia: a history of diplomacy and war / Wang Zhenping.
- Tibet in the earliest photographs by Russian travelers, 1900-1901 / edited by Alexandre Andreyev.
- Documentary, world history, and national power in the PRC: global rise in Chinese eyes / Gotelind Müller.
India & Indian Ocean Region
- The poetry of British India / editor, Máire ní Fhlathúin
- Crossing the Bay of Bengal: the furies of nature and the fortunes of migrants / Sunil S. Amrith.
Japan & Korea
- The nature of the beasts: empire and exhibition at the Tokyo Imperial Zoo / Ian Jared Miller; foreword by Harriet Ritvo.
- A Korean war captive in Japan, 1597-1600: the writings of Kang Hang / edited and translated by JaHyun Kim Haboush and Kenneth R. Robinson.
- Meiji restoration losers: memory and Tokugawa supporters in modern Japan / Michael Wert.
Near & Middle East
- Tourists, travellers and hotels in 19th-century Jerusalem: on Mark Twain and Charles Warren at the Mediterranean Hotel / by Rupert L. Chapman III, Shimon Gibson & Yoni Shapira.
- Memory and ethnicity: ethnic museums in Israel and the Diaspora / edited by Emanuela Trevisan Semi, Dario Miccoli and Tudor Parfitt
- Ferdowsi, the Mongols and Iranian history: art, literature and culture from early Islam to Qajar Persia / Robert Hillenbrand, A.C.S. Peacock, Firiuza Abdullaeva, editors.
- History and identity in the late antique Near East / edited by Philip Wood
- Biography of an empire: governing Ottomans in an age of revolution / Christine M. Philliou.
- The adventures of Ibn Battuta, a Muslim traveler of the 14th century / Ross E. Dunn. [updated edition]
- Handbuch der Iranistik / Ludwig Paul (Hg.).
- A Cairo anthology: two hundred years of travel writing / edited by Deborah Manley
- Women travelers in Egypt: from the eighteenth to the twenty-first century / edited by Deborah Manley
- African history: a very short introduction / John Parker and Richard Rathbone.
- Wars of imperial conquest in Africa, 1830-1914 / Bruce Vandervort.
- Colonialism – Postcolonialism / Loomba, Ania
- On the postcolony / Achille Mbembe.
- Images and empires: visuality in colonial and postcolonial Africa / edited by Paul S. Landau and Deborah D. Kaspin.
- Mapping early modern Japan: space, place, and culture in the Tokugawa period (1603-1868) / Marcia Yonemoto.
- The Mughals of India / Harbans Mukhia.
AbbasidsAbkhaziaAbū al-Qāsim Ḥasan FirdawsīAfricaAfrica (West)Africa in artAfrica in literatureAfrica in mass mediaAnatoliaancient historyAnglo-Indiansanonymous literatureantiquitiesarchaeologyArmeniaAtlantic slaveryautobiographyAzerbaijanBay of Bengalbiographybooks and readingborderlandsBoundariesboundary disputesCairoCambodiaCaucasus regionceremonial objectsChinacivilizationCixi (1835-1908)collective memorycolonialismcolonialism (British)colonies (British)commercial historycontemporary historycostume and fashioncultural historycultural interactionDiplomacyDocumentariese-booksEast Asiaebraryeconomic historyEgyptempressesethnic relationsEthnologyexpeditionsFieldworkForeign RelationsGeorgiahistorical television programmeshistoriographyhistoriography (ancient)history (14th century)history (16th century)history (17th century)history (18th century)history (19th century)history (20th century)history (7th century)history (8th century)history (9th century)history and mediahistory and televisionhistory of medicineIbn Batuta (1304-1377)ImmigrantsimperialismIndiaInternational RelationsIranIran (civilization)IslamIslamic EmpireJapanJerusalemJewish diasporaJews (Greek)journalismKang Hang (1567-1618)kings and rulersKoreaLate AntiquityLeon SciakyLhasaliterary historyliterature (Persian)Mark Twain (1835-1910)material cultureMedical Caremedieval historyMedinaMediterranean Hotel (Jerusalem)memoirsmethodologyMiaphysite ChurchMigrationmilitary assistance (American)military historyMinoritiesMongolsMughal Empiremulti-period historymulti-period worksMuseums (Israel)museums (political aspects)Naosuke Ii (1815-1860)national identitiesnature and civilizationnewspapers (Africa)NigeriaNubiaOttoman EmpirePalestinePersiapersonal narrativesPhanariotsphotographic collectionsPhotographypoetrypoetry (Persian)poets (Iranian)political anthropologypolitical historyPolitics and culturePost-colonialismprisoners-of-warQasr Ibrahimresearch ethicsresearch methodsSir Charles Warren (1840-1927)slave trade (America)slave trade (Great Britain)Slave trade (West Africa)social historySouth AfricaSouth CaucasusSouth OssetiaStephanos Vogorides (1780-1859)SyriaTadamasa Oguri (1827-1868)Tang DynastyTanzimatThessalonica (Greece)TibetTokugawa periodTokyotourism (history)trade and commerceTraditional Medicinetravel writingtravellerstravellers and explorersTurkeyUeno Dōbutsuen (Tokyo)urban historyVietnamVietnam WarWomen travellers.Zimbabwezoos