History – December 2013 and January 2014
General & Comparative
- Farewell to Salonika: city at the crossroads / Leon Sciaky.
- Transatlantic slavery: an introduction / [text by Richard Benjamin … and David Fleming].
- Borders: a very short introduction / Alexander C. Diener and Joshua Hagen.
- Red stamps and gold stars: fieldwork dilemmas in upland socialist Asia / edited by Sarah Turner
- Early modern things: objects and their histories, 1500-1800 / edited by Paula Findlen.
- Medicine and colonialism: historical perspectives in India and South Africa / edited by Poonam Bala.
- The power to name: a history of anonymity in colonial West Africa / Stephanie Newell
- Qasr Ibrim, between Egypt and Africa: studies in cultural exchange (NINO symposium, Leiden, 11-12 December 2009) / edited by J. van der Vliet and J.L. Hagen ; with the assistance of C.H. van Zoest and L.E. van de Peut
- Exploring the Caucasus in the 21st century: essays on culture, history and politics in a dynamic context / edited by Françoise Companjen, László Marácz, Lia Versteegh.
China & Tibet
- Empress Dowager Cixi: the concubine who launched modern China / by Jung Chang.
- Tang China in multi-polar Asia: a history of diplomacy and war / Wang Zhenping.
- Tibet in the earliest photographs by Russian travelers, 1900-1901 / edited by Alexandre Andreyev.
- Documentary, world history, and national power in the PRC: global rise in Chinese eyes / Gotelind Müller.
India & Indian Ocean Region
- The poetry of British India / editor, Máire ní Fhlathúin
- Crossing the Bay of Bengal: the furies of nature and the fortunes of migrants / Sunil S. Amrith.
Japan & Korea
- The nature of the beasts: empire and exhibition at the Tokyo Imperial Zoo / Ian Jared Miller; foreword by Harriet Ritvo.
- A Korean war captive in Japan, 1597-1600: the writings of Kang Hang / edited and translated by JaHyun Kim Haboush and Kenneth R. Robinson.
- Meiji restoration losers: memory and Tokugawa supporters in modern Japan / Michael Wert.
Near & Middle East
- Tourists, travellers and hotels in 19th-century Jerusalem: on Mark Twain and Charles Warren at the Mediterranean Hotel / by Rupert L. Chapman III, Shimon Gibson & Yoni Shapira.
- Memory and ethnicity: ethnic museums in Israel and the Diaspora / edited by Emanuela Trevisan Semi, Dario Miccoli and Tudor Parfitt
- Ferdowsi, the Mongols and Iranian history: art, literature and culture from early Islam to Qajar Persia / Robert Hillenbrand, A.C.S. Peacock, Firiuza Abdullaeva, editors.
- History and identity in the late antique Near East / edited by Philip Wood
- Biography of an empire: governing Ottomans in an age of revolution / Christine M. Philliou.
- The adventures of Ibn Battuta, a Muslim traveler of the 14th century / Ross E. Dunn. [updated edition]
- Handbuch der Iranistik / Ludwig Paul (Hg.).
- A Cairo anthology: two hundred years of travel writing / edited by Deborah Manley
- Women travelers in Egypt: from the eighteenth to the twenty-first century / edited by Deborah Manley
- African history: a very short introduction / John Parker and Richard Rathbone.
- Wars of imperial conquest in Africa, 1830-1914 / Bruce Vandervort.
- Colonialism – Postcolonialism / Loomba, Ania
- On the postcolony / Achille Mbembe.
- Images and empires: visuality in colonial and postcolonial Africa / edited by Paul S. Landau and Deborah D. Kaspin.
- Mapping early modern Japan: space, place, and culture in the Tokugawa period (1603-1868) / Marcia Yonemoto.
- The Mughals of India / Harbans Mukhia.