History – August 2013
- Afghanistan: graveyard of empires: a new history of the borderlands / David Isby
- Playing the great game: Britain, war and politics in Afghanistan since 1839 / Edmund Yorke ; [foreword by Ed Butler].
- Cotton: the fabric that made the modern world / Giorgio Riello.
- The undivided past: history beyond our differences / David Cannadine.
- Crisis and continuity at the Abbasid court : formal and informal politics in the caliphate of al-Muqtadir (295-320/908-32) / by Maaike van Berkel, Nadia El Cheikh, Hugh Kennedy, and Letizia Osti.
- Cairo to Constantinople: Francis Bedford’s Photographs of the Middle East / Sophie Gordon ; introduction by John McCarthy, with contributions by Badr El Hage and Alessandro Nasini.
Burma Campaign Memorial Library (Special Collections)
- Orientalism / Ziauddin Sardar.
- Segregation: a global history of divided cities / Carl H. Nightingale.
- The soil: a portrait of rural life in Meiji Japan / Nagatsuka Takashi; translated and with an introduction by Ann Waswo.
AbbasidsAfghanistanAfghanistan (foreign relations)aid and developmentBattle of KohimaBurma CampaignBurma Campaign Memorial LibrarycommoditiesConstantinoplecontemporary historycotton textile industrycotton tradecounterinsurgencycourts and courtierscultural historyDawsonerae-booksebraryeconomic historyEdward VIIEgyptFirst Afghan Warforeign public opinionFrancis Bedford (photographer)globalisationGreat Britain (foreign relations)Great Gamehistoriographyhistory (19th century)history (20th century)history (medieval)housing policiesimperialismimperialism (Islamic)InsurgencyIslamic EmpireJapanJapanese fiction (translations into English)LevantLiteratureMeiji eramilitary historymilitary leadersMinoritiesMuqtadir BillāhNagatsuka TakashiOrientalismOttoman EmpirePakistanPalestinephotography (19th century)pictorial workspolitical historyPolitics and governmentSecond Afghan WarSegregationsocial historytravel and tourism (history)Tsuchiurban historyWilliam SlimWorld HistoryWorld War 2