Anthropology & Sociology – August 2012
- All tomorrow’s cultures : anthropological engagements with the future / Samuel Gerald Collins.
- Anthropologists, indigenous scholars and the research endeavour : seeking bridges towards mutual respect / edited by Joy Hendry and Laara Fitznor.
- Being there : learning to live cross-culturally / edited by Sarah H. Davis and Melvin Konner.
- Contemporary sociological theory / edited by Craig Calhoun … [et al.]. 3rd Edition
- The creolization of theory / edited by Franoise Lionnet and Shu-mei Shih.
- A handbook of economic anthropology / edited by James G. Carrier.
- Making knowledge : explorations of the indissoluble relation between mind, body and environment / edited by Trevor H. J. Marchand.
[Also available as an e-book from Dawsonera; available for SOAS staff & students only]
- The objects of evidence : anthropological approaches to the production of knowledge / edited by Matthew Engelke.
- Recasting anthropological knowledge : inspiration and social science / edited by Jeanette Edwards, Maja Petrović-Šteger.
- Religion and modern society : citizenship, secularisation and the state / Bryan S. Turner.
- Reveries of home : nostalgia, authenticity and the performance of place / editor, Solrun Williksen and Nigel Rapport.
- The social movements reader : cases and concepts / edited by Jeff Goodwin and James M. Jasper.
- Sociology : introductory readings / edited by Anthony Giddens and Philip W. Sutton. 3rd Edition.
- The price of inequality : how today’s divided society endangers our future / Joseph E. Stiglitz.
- Politics of memory : making slavery visible in the public space / edited by Ana Lucia Araujo.
- Historicising gender and sexuality / edited by Kevin P. Murphy and Jennifer M. Spear.
- Men and development : politicizing masculinities / edited by Andrea Cornwall, Jerker Edström and Alan Greig.
- On the frontlines : gender, war, and the post-conflict process / Fionnuala Ní Aoláin, Dina Francesca Haynes, Naomi Cahn.
- The sociology of gender : an introduction to theory and research / Amy S. Wharton. 2nd Edition
- Regulating the international movement of women / edited by Sharron Fitzgerald.
- Understanding global sexualities : new frontiers / edited by Peter Aggleton.
- The sexual citizen : queer politics and beyond / David Bell and Jon Binnie.
Travel, Tourism, and Pilgrimage
- The discipline of leisure : embodying cultures of ‘recreation’ / edited by Simon Coleman and Tamara Kohn.
- Worlding cities : Asian experiments and the art of being global / edited by Ananya Roy, Aihwa Ong.
- Representation and black womanhood : the legacy of Sarah Baartman / ed. by Natasha Gordon-Chipembere.
- Anthropology of migration and multiculturalism : new directions / edited by Steven Vertovec.
- Connecting seas and connected ocean rims : Indian, Atlantic, and Pacific Oceans and China Seas migrations from the 1830s to the 1930s / Donna R. Gabaccia and Dirk Hoerder.
- Displaced : the human cost of development and resettlement / Olivia Bennett and Christopher McDowell.
ActivismAnthropology and SociologyCognition and cultureCreolesCross-cultural orientationCultural fusionCulture shockDevelopmentEconomic anthropologyEmigration and immigrationEthnologyEthnoscienceForced MigrationGenderGender identityglobalizationhistoriographyHistoryHomeHomosexualityIncome distributionIndigenous peoplesIntercultural communicationLeisureMasculinityMenmethodoloMind and bodyMulticulturalismPhilosophical anthropologyphilosophyPostcolonialismRecreationreligion and statesecularismSexSlaverySocial changeSocial movementssociologyUrbanizationViolenceWarWomen